Contact: Jared Bessert, 608/298-9008, MadVest@sbcglobal.net
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 6:00 p.m. (Check-in begins 5:30 p.m.)
LOCATION: Sequoya Branch of the Madison Public Library, 4340 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI, 53711, 608/266-6385. The new Sequoya Branch of the Madison Public Library is located in the Midvale Shopping Center, about halfway between the Beltline and University Avenue. Enter the library from either Tokay Blvd. or from the center’s parking lot.
Topic: “What’s Inside Your ETF?”
Speaker: Michael Rawson, CFA; ETF Analyst, Morningstar
Cost: No charge, FREE and open to the public.
Summary: Come to our October 17, 2012 meeting to:
- Learn how an ETF works and how the structure differs from a mutual fund, enabling certain advantages and disadvantages
- Learn how to evaluate an ETF and distinguish between truly passive ETFs and “strategy” ETFs
- Learn the risks of non-traditional ETFs such as exchange-traded notes and leveraged funds
- Receive a complimentary copy of Morningstar’s ETF Investor newsletter
- Learn how to tweak your bond portfolio with fixed-income ETFs in this low interest rate environment
- Learn which dividend-focused ETFs are best suited for risk-averse investors
Speaker’s Biography: Michael Rawson, CFA, is an ETF analyst with Morningstar. Prior to joining Morningstar, he worked as an equity analyst for PNC Bank. He earned a master’s degree in finance from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. While living in Madison, he enjoyed biking, fishing and going for nature walks. He currently lives in Chicago, where he enjoys being stuck in traffic, paying tolls and high gas prices.
Mutual Fund Subgroup
Contact: Brian Harden, 414/347-5546, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Karen Hager 262/255-2849
Date/Time: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 6:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Brookfield Library, 1900 North Calhoun Rd., Brookfield, 262/782-4140. Take I-94 to the Moorland Road north exit. Go past the Brookfield Mall and turn west (left) on Blue Mound Rd. Go one mile to Calhoun Rd. and turn north (right). Go two miles north. The library is on the east (right) side, next to City Hall.