CI Market Dashboard

We have put together a collection of market indicators and track them to help you gauge the direction of the market.

CI Analysis Worksheets

Interactive analysis templates covering DuPont analysis (return on equity), valuing stocks the Warren Buffett way, and more to come.

CI Blog Feed

Twitter Announces Promoted Video Feature
posted 8 days ago by Jaclyn McClellan

Computerized Investing > First Quarter 2014

Technical Analysis & Charting Programs

PRINT | | | | COMMENTS (5) | A A   Reset

by Wayne A. Thorp, CFA

Investment analysis falls into two broad categories: fundamental analysis and technical analysis.

Fundamental analysis looks at the underlying financial characteristics of a firm to determine whether or not it is a good investment. It considers the broad macroeconomic conditions that are acting on the company’s business, the competitive landscape in its sector and industry and the individual company’s financials to try to estimate the stock’s fair value.

...To continue reading this article you must be a Computerized Investing Subscriber.

Gain exclusive access to this article and all of the benefits and investment education a Computerized Investing subscription offers.

Already a CI subscriber? Login to read the rest of this article.

A subscription to Computerized Investing includes a monthly email and access to the CI Website, all of which aim to benefit your investing skills with respect to computers and the Internet.

Vincent Lue from CA posted 8 months ago:

Hi, Wayne,

What are the list of candidate programs AAII evaluted to come up with the recommended software ? I have been using a very inexpensive yet very powerful one for years. Frankly, I have a hard time recognizing reasons to use the AAII recommended ones over the software I'm currently use. I might have missed something here...

Vincent

abas rezvani from nj posted 8 months ago:

I subscribed to AAII a couple of weeks ago. Since then I am getting articles one after one just selling more products to me .First of all I do not have time to read all these comments which get nowhere with no conclusion, or in another word you are dancing with words. I want your selections of stocks etfs etc which you are claiming have made mony for subscribers .
Please let me know ASAP what is your answer, otherwise I would like to discontinue my subcribtion.
Thank you.

William Haun from CO posted 8 months ago:

Vincent, I am curious as to which "inexpensive" yet "powerful" program you are referring to.
Bill

Sunil Bhole from GA posted 7 months ago:

Just curious, what sort of returns/ revenues are being generated by traders using these systems? Also are these systems automated or do they require a lot of hands on once one has learned them?and finally what about the downside potential/ risks involved with trading?

Vernon Roberts from FL posted 7 months ago:

Sorry to see you didn't include AmiBroker - it used to be reviewed. Will do anything MetaStock will do (IMO) and more at considerably less expense. I've been using it for several years(1 time cost around $200 or $250), US Priemium Data (EOD feed about $225/year - have data back to 1985, updated daily). Learning curve can be steep for non programers, but since I knew nothing about investing when I first joined AAII had/have much learning to do anyway. If someone is in the market for deskbased or reatime trading software might check it out (http://www.ambroker.com). I've been very happy with it (still am).