CI Market Dashboard

We have put together a collection of market indicators and track them to help you gauge the direction of the market.

CI Analysis Worksheets

Interactive analysis templates covering DuPont analysis (return on equity), valuing stocks the Warren Buffett way, and more to come.

CI Blog Feed

CI Market Dashboard Continues in All-Time Bearish Territory
posted 1 day ago by Wayne Thorp

A Tale of Two Earnings Announcements: Apple Versus IBM
posted 1 day ago by Wayne Thorp

Apple Earnings not just good….
posted 1 day ago by Hareesh Jayanthi

Apple’s Big Day
posted 3 days ago by Hareesh Jayanthi

CI Gadget Corner: iPhone 6 Review
posted 4 days ago by Wayne Thorp

Computerized Investing > December 7, 2013
PRINT | | | | COMMENTS (1) | A A   Reset

by Wayne A. Thorp, CFA

$129.99

Ultrasonic humidifier automatically adjusts to the humidity level to save water and energy.

This November, AAII held its biennial investor conference in Orlando. Instead of coming back to Chicago with a nice tan, I was blessed with a wicked chest cold that has lingered for over two weeks. As luck would have it, shortly thereafter a package arrived in my office to make my plight a bit more tolerable—the roolen BREATH Ultrasonic Humidifier. I have a humidifier attached to my furnace in my condo, but I have been looking for a mobile unit that I can move around to rooms where I need a bit more moisture in the air. The roolen BREATH is light and compact, making it a perfect addition to your home or office.

Out of the Box

The people at roolen, a Thailand-based company, have placed a great deal of emphasis on the design aspect of the BREATH. In doing so, they have created a product that is highly functional while staying stylish and unobtrusive. When I was growing up, my family had a monstrous console-type humidifier that was incredibly loud, with a large rolling pad that would pass through a water basin and over a large fan to evaporate the water. The BREATH is definitely an improvement on that with its reverse-cone, silo-like shape. It measures 7.9 inches by 1.9 inches by 10.2 inches and weighs just under 2.5 pounds with the water tank filled. You also have a choice of colors—ivory white or jet black.

The unit is also minimalist in its appearance. On the front is an indicator light that tells you what mode the humidifier is in and if it requires a water refill. On the top is a round hole where the water mist escapes, while on the back is the detach button to remove the cap for filling, the function button to switch between operating modes and the power plug port.

In addition to the humidifier unit itself, you also receive an AC plug that connects to the bottom rear of the BREATH.

Setup and Operation

Roolen recommends using the BREATH in rooms no larger than 400 square feet. Before using it, you must first fill it. Roolen also suggests you use filtered water, otherwise it is important to clean the misting device on a weekly basis. To fill the BREATH, you depress the button on the back of the unit to unlock the water tank from the water basin. After separating the water tank, flip it over to reveal the water tank cap, which you unscrew to fill the tank. The tank holds a surprising 0.8 gallons (3.15 liters) of water. Once you have filled the tank, you replace the tank cap and reattach it to the water basin. You want to be sure to quickly snap the water tank in place, otherwise you run the risk of water leaking out.

Once the BREATH is filled, you can plug it in. At this point, the front indicator light will glow orange for standby mode. The BREATH has three modes—low, high and auto—which you can cycle through by pressing the function button on the back multiple times. Depending on the conditions of the room in which you are using the BREATH, you may use high mode for very dry conditions or low for longer operation without refilling. However, on auto mode, the BREATH monitors the humidity level and adjusts its output levels to maintain the humidity in the room between 40% and 55%. Once the relative humidity rises high enough it will go into sleep mode, saving energy and water. Once the relative humidity falls far enough it will start back up again. The water tank capacity allows you to run the BREATH for 24 hours on low, 12 hours on high, and over a day on auto.

The BREATH uses Japanese ceramic transducers to produce the heat that vaporizes the water. By using ultrasonic transducers instead of traditional ones powered by transistors, there is no risk of overheating. The water vapor escapes from the hole in the top of the unit.

Performance

I was floored by the whisper-quiet operation of the BREATH. If you are sensitive to noise while you’re sleeping, the BREATH is perfect for the bedroom. As someone who needs white noise in the background in order to sleep, the BREATH doesn’t fit the bill.

I used the BREATH in my bedroom, and the first night I used it I found the air easier to breathe even with my chest cold. With the onset of cold weather in Chicago and dryer conditions indoors now that I am running my furnace, I will be using the BREATH on a daily basis. I especially like the auto feature that maintains the humidity levels and automatically shuts off the BREATH when the humidity is high enough, saving energy and water.

Overall

Given its compact size, sleek design, quiet operation and misting capabilities, I strongly recommend the roolen BREATH Ultrasonic Humidifier to anyone looking for a single-room humidifier. Seeing the positive effect it had on my sleeping the first night I used it, I would say the BREATH is well worth the $129 price tag.

Pros

• Whisper-quiet
  • Auto mode adjusts output to humidity levels, saving energy and water
  • Easy filling and operation

Cons

• Risk of water leaking when reattaching water tank to basin after filling

Roolen BREATH Ultrasonic Humidifier

$129.99 (Currently $129.98 from Amazon.com)

Wayne A. Thorp, CFA is a vice president and senior financial analyst at AAII and editor of Computerized Investing. Follow him on Twitter at @WayneTAAII.

Lee Bennett from WA posted 10 months ago:

Depending upon the mineral content of you water, you may have to dust more frequently. Also in some areas frost or moisture may accumulate on your windows in cold weather.