Dick Davis is a retired radio and TV broadcaster, syndicated columnist and founder of The Dick Davis Digest investment newsletter. He is the author of “The Dick Davis Dividend.” For further information about his book go to www.thedickdavisdividend.com .


Arthur from FL posted over 6 years ago:

The author is correct. In addition, the news media analyzing data regarding stocks is 99% focused upon short-term likely moves, unable to take a separate look at long-term factors that should be of most interest to long-term investors - like $1.4 Quadrillion derivatives, 150 to 289 Trillion dollars of US 30-year debt, the likely decrease in value of US dollar, death of the Euro, likelihood of worldwide economic collapse, etc. Media analysis is aimed at day traders. Long-term negative issues are hustled off stage ASAP, as sponsors would be adversely impacted, and media people are unable to come to grips with implications of known large scale negative future issues, and don't know what to say.

Kathleen from PA posted over 6 years ago:

Read Dick Davis's book sited above. When you are finished, read it again.

Gerry from ME posted over 6 years ago:

I agree that the daily market commentary is as this article says - as they have to say something they tie it to recent events which really have nothing to do with the markets movements.

Dennis from MI posted over 6 years ago:

Yes, read the book mentioned above. He does advocate holding 80% index funds and the remaining 20% is self managed funds etc. Looking at the survey of AAII members on index funds, a high majority of members do not hold much in index funds if any at all.

Joshua from HI posted over 6 years ago:

I am disappointed that Mr. Davis uses one bad PBS incident to make his point. He should have used the many CNBC shows which have misled investors with hundreds, if not thousands, of flawed "advice". And I am not only talking about the guy who wants to "educate and entertain you", Jim Cramer.

Arther from NY posted over 6 years ago:

Having been in the industry long enough to gain some insight into why the market acts as it does (irrationally, in the short term), I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Davis. It used to be a daily game in my office to try to guess what the in-house "expert" in market movements would say on the evening news. He had to say something, because "No-one knows!" just doesn't work in radio or TV. And it's something you definitely don't want your clients to hear you saying.

Douglas from OK posted over 6 years ago:

Couldn't agree more with the author. I think you can make the case that ALL media including the news media operates just as the financial media.

Steve from CA posted 5 months ago:

Maybe the behavior of the stock market is controlled by the Illuminati. Since it's a secret organization, nobody can find out what they will do next. :-)

Michael Murray from VA posted 5 months ago:

Nothing's changed in 5 years I see...when it comes to the media!

Michael W. Morrow from AZ posted 5 months ago:

Michael Murray: I'd have to disagree; as far as I can tell, the attention span of the "media" has become even more OCD. The talking heads seem to be able to focus on a topic about as long as a kitten can focus on a shiny ball of foil.

Sorry, you cannot add comments while on a mobile device or while printing.