Installing Stock Investor
You can either install Stock Investor with the CD you receive in the mail or you can download and install the full program from the Weekly Data Updates section of the Stock Investor area of AAII.com.
Installing from CD
This Getting Started Guide will walk you through the steps of installing your Stock Investor CD.
Downloading & Installing Full Program/Data Update
If you do not have Stock Investor already installed on your computer, and you have a high-speed Internet connection (DSL, cable modem, T-1/T-3, etc.), you can download the entire program from the Weekly Data Updates section of the Stock Investor area of AAII.com.
If you already have Stock Investor installed on your computer and are looking for information on how to download and install data updates, please visit the Weekly Updates section of this wiki.
Here are the steps to download and install the Stock Investor program/data update:
- Go to the Weekly Data Updates page of the Stock Investor Pro area of AAII.com.
- At the Weekly Data Updates page, click on the Program/Data Install button:
If you experience problems downloading the file, try clicking on the "Secondary Server" link below the Program/Data Install button.
- Depending on the Web browser you are using, you may be prompted to either Run or Save the file:
If so, we strongly recommend that you first save the file to your computer, preferably your desktop, so you can easily locate the file when the download is complete.
- When the download process is complete (it could take several minutes depending on your connection speed), double-click on the file (proinstall.exe) to launch the installation wizard.
- You may receive a security warning:
If so, click Run to continue.
- Click Next at the Welcome screen of the Stock Investor Setup window:
- You will be asked to verify the location you want Stock Investor installed on your computer. Click Next to use the default installation directory or click the Browse button to change the location where you want Stock Investor installed.
- If you already have Stock Investor installed on your computer, you will be asked if you wish to discard or retain your user files (portfolios, screens, views, etc.). Click Next to proceed.
- By default, the Stock Investor program items are added to the AAII folder on your Start menu. If you wish to change the program folder, type in a new name. Otherwise, click Next.
- The final menu window before the installation begins displays a summary of the installation settings you have specified. If you are satisfied with the settings, click Next to start the installation process.
- Once the files are copied to your computer, you will be prompted to add a shortcut to Stock Investor on your desktop. If you want the shortcut, click Yes. Otherwise, click No.
- You will then be asked if you wish to view the ReadMe file. This file provides information on recent program changes. Click Yes is you wish to view the ReadMe. Otherwise, click No.
- When the installation is complete, click Finish to start Stock Investor Pro. You will see a series of windows as Stock Investor Utilities performs database management operations.
- Lastly, you will be prompted to recalculate the custom fields. We strongly recommend you always click Yes to this after installing in the program or a data update.
- When the recalculation is complete, the Stock Investor Pro program window will open and you are ready to begin using the software.