Financial Professional Terms: What They Mean and Why You Should Care

by William Reichenstein

Financial Professional Terms: What They Mean And Why You Should Care Splash image
Broker, registered investment advisor, financial planner, insurance agent, investment advisor, and wealth managers: These are a few of the common terms used to describe various financial professionals.

Many individual investors are confused by these terms, and do not have a clear understanding of what distinguishes one professional from another.

This article will clarify these terms and discuss differences in the duties owed by financial professionals to their clients.

Brokers vs. Investment Advisors

...To continue reading this article you must be registered with AAII.

Gain exclusive access to this article and all of the member benefits and investment education AAII offers.
JOIN TODAY for just $29.
Log in
Already registered with AAII? Login to read the rest of this article.

Register for FREE
to read this article and receive access to future articles.
William Reichenstein , CFA, holds the Pat and Thomas R. Powers Chair in Investment Management at Baylor University and is head of research at Social Security Solutions, Inc .


N Krishne urs from New York posted about 1 year ago:

enjoyed reading valuable information.

Willie from Illinois posted 11 months ago:

Very good information.

Michael from Connecticut posted 8 months ago:

A very well written article.
The article provides some insightful information on commission structure the broker receives for mutual fund he recommends to his client.

You need to log in as a registered AAII user before commenting.
Create an account

Log In