The Benefits of Modern Portfolio Theory

by Charles Rotblut, CFA

The Benefits Of Modern Portfolio Theory Splash image

There is a secret to investing that many investors are never told: You can achieve higher returns and reduce your portfolio’s level of risk at the same time. Yes, you read that right, higher returns and lower risk are both possible.

This is not a magic formula designed by someone to sell you a get-rich-quick scheme. Rather, the creator of this strateg

Charles Rotblut, CFA is a vice president at AAII and editor of the AAII Journal. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/charlesrotblut.

Joe from North Carolina posted over 3 years ago:

Am I the only one NOT getting the chart? All I get is a black line.

Joe from North Carolina posted over 3 years ago:

Am I the only one NOT getting the chart? All I get is a black line.

Joe from North Carolina posted over 3 years ago:

Am I the only one NOT getting the chart? All I get is a black line.

Lee from Florida posted over 3 years ago:

Me,too. I get the same black block that instructs me to click on it to see entire chart. No luck

Shawn from California posted over 3 years ago:

Hi Joe
I don't get the link either but if you click the

or printer

links top left above you can see the graph.

:-)

Britni from California posted over 3 years ago:

oops...not the printer link--just the pdf link:

:-)

Praveen from Ohio posted over 3 years ago:

The problem with this theory is that it equates volatility (SD) with risk. If this basic premise is incorrect, then the whole "efficient market frontier" theory fall apart.

Jan from Illinois posted over 3 years ago:

I agree with Praveen.
Let's consider this idea. MPT is based on so-called "buy and hold" strategy, where risk (volatility) is inevitable part of every given financial instrument and this risk is tied to the given expected return on investment. What if there is a theory that focuses on actively managing both sides of every investment: return and risk. By managing (via active trading or speculative investing), you can separate these two sides of every coin and deal with them through diferent risk management and trading tools. You can definitelly get better results...

Faye from Indiana posted over 2 years ago:

Has your theory been put to the test? Is a Noble Prize in your future? Jan from Illinois and Praveen from Ohio.