CI Market Dashboard

We have put together a collection of market indicators and track them to help you gauge the direction of the market.

CI Analysis Worksheets

Interactive analysis templates covering DuPont analysis (return on equity), valuing stocks the Warren Buffett way, and more to come.

CI Blog Feed

Cisco Systems to Buy Jasper Technologies for $1.4 Billion
posted 10 days ago by Computerized Investing

RBC Wealth Management Partners with BlackRock’s Future Advisor
posted 11 days ago by Jaclyn McClellan

FINRA Begins Looking Into Robo-Advisers
posted 15 days ago by Jaclyn McClellan

Wealthfront Now Offers Free Portfolio Reviews
posted 19 days ago by Jaclyn McClellan

Gartner Expects Worldwide Devices Shipments to Grow 1.9% in 2016
posted 25 days ago by Computerized Investing

Screening on Jim Slater's Zulu Principle

PRINT | | | | COMMENTS (1) | A A   Reset

by Wayne A. Thorp, CFA

In the 15-plus years I have been reading investing texts—especially related to stock screening—I have found the subject to be decidedly centered in the U.S. Therefore, when I ran across a book written on the other side of the pond in England, I jumped at the chance to see what it had to say.

First published in 1992, “The Zulu Principle,” by Jim Slater, is founded on the premise that individual investors can be successful by focusing their analysis on a narrow area.

...To continue reading this article you must be a Computerized Investing Subscriber.

Gain exclusive access to this article and all of the benefits and investment education a Computerized Investing subscription offers.

Already a CI subscriber? Login to read the rest of this article.

A subscription to Computerized Investing includes a monthly email and access to the CI Website, all of which aim to benefit your investing skills with respect to computers and the Internet.

Mark Smith from AZ posted over 3 years ago:

When I lived in the UK I had modest success using Jim Slater's Zulu Principle. The books are a good read with sensible down to earth investing principles.

However, when I back tested the quantitative parts of the Zulu Principle on Keelix.com I found that it do not produce good returns in the US and did not beat the market. So I haven't tried using the method in the US.

Maybe the method does not work well in the US because market conditions have changed over the years since the books were first published or the ideas don't translate well to the US market.